Hi...

So; I've decided to write a blog. Mainly I will be exercising my female right to moan about things that make my eyes go as red the one in my profile picture, however there may be an odd occasion where this 30 year old (with the mentality of a teenager) will express moments of rare intelligence and occasional happiness...

Friday, 20 May 2011

Doesn't it matter if its good or bad, as long as they're talking.

Today marks the first time in a long time that i have been to visit a couple of friends of mine.  Now I can honestly say that we all don't talk on the phone, we may send the odd sms every now and then to see if the other one is ok, but whenever we get to hang out in between life's work and obstacles, its like no time has passed.

The laughs are still the same but I've come to notice that even the matters that have occurred in the "absent" time are already known.  The slightest thing that you might have thought was on the down low is no longer, due to things like Twitter and Facebook.

Without directly telling people anything, they can deduce by means of status updates and not necessarily ones that you have posted.  I've pretty much abandoned Facebook and I occasionally do a tweet... So when I met with these friends today, they already knew about incidents, events of my last 6 months because of Facebook updates that didn't belong to me. This somewhat pissed me off, because I know what made them take notice is probably due to something negative being said.

The amount of simultaneous access to however many or little people you want at any one time, literally means less physical communication you have with real people.  You used to have to call or knock on everyones door if you wanted to convey a message.  The phrase when I was a child that was widely use would be "I'm going to call on" or "call on me tomorrow."  That was how you knew you were going to do something.  The best relationship people have is a device with a keypad.  I'm not dissing said technology (what do you think i am tapping this blog on now?) but I am simply saying you talk less to people now than we ever have before.

It also makes me think, what's going to come next, with this whole social media thing.  I read something somewhere on the web the other day and this guy was speaking about your grand children back dating tweets on an "ancestry.com-like" database to read into the kind of people their ancestors were.

How we learned history in school was based on text books with people's opinions of how people were, from people's journals etc. Now anyone can write anything on their Facebook/Twitter and that is recorded and saved and will no doubt be used in the future of how communication changed and interaction between people evolved.

Alexander Graham-Bell invented the telephone, John Logie Baird invented the televison ... I wonder if in future, The Social Network will be used when people learn about Mark Zuckerberg and how he created Facebook.  So what comes next?  Can communication become more instant than it already is?  With webcams, video calling etc, we can communicate with people who aren't with us and still see their faces... May be the next thing is hollograming yourself to communicate with the people you want... Am I being a bit too far fetched?  Ideas people?

1 comment:

  1. Hi dear, my blog has gone back to old platform.
    thebookness.blogspot.com

    follow me there instead wouldnt you?

    ReplyDelete